Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A Card With A View

A new challenge is up at A Blog Named Hero! The challenge is called A Card With A View. All you have to do is create a card with a window. Check it out for yourself by using this link: http://ablognamedhero.blogspot.com/2012/04/challenge-2-cards-with-view.html  
Hereis the challenge:
Here is what I came up with:
I started with my background which is simple navy blue cardstock that I embossed with an embossing folder then spritzed it with Perfect Pearls. I then used a circle die to cut my "window".  I stamped the flag image on the insdide of the card with VersaMark Ink and used Black Sparkel embossing powder.
I had stopped at Michael's yesterday and bought some Michael's brand Washi tape. They call it Craft tape. It was on sale so I thought it was a good time to try it out. Also they had it in red, white and blue and I knew I was going to be making 4th of July cards for the troops. So I pulled the tape out and picked out the red & white striped tape. After I had put the tape on my card I realized the embossing showed through the tape. I should have put the tape on cardstock before I adhered it to my card. I also meant to put a red border around the opening of the window but forgot.
 Onto the sentiment. I used three stamps to make the sentiment. The one stamp with the stars actually  says 4th of July but I wanted I wanted it to say Happy 4th of July so I used the word happy from a Happy Birthday stamp by just inking Happy and I just inked the stars and "4th of " on the other stamp. I had a July stamp that was bigger so I combined it with the "4th of July"  and cut the white cardstock into a banner and inked the edges with Fired Brick Distress ink. I put gemstones under July and then adhered the word Happy with foam dots .
I decided to make another card the way I had intended to. Here it is with the red frame around the window:
 And also with a strip of white cardstock under the craft tape. It looks much better.
 On the back side of the window I adhered another frame so it would looked finished.
I also was able to add a red frame to the window on my first card and I like it a lot better too. Just couldn't change the craft tape.
Hope everyone is having a creative week.

3 comments:

  1. Thats a very cool card! I like how you did a take on the flag wtih the embossed stars--great Idea

    Such cool idea--how inventive!

    Thank you so much for entering our Window Card Challenge!

    Good Luck!

    Linda

    A Blog Named Hero

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for a window card! Nice and patriotic. :-) Thanks for playing along at A Blog Named Hero!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this patriotic card, and i love your tip about finishing off the window on the inside! thanks for playing along with our Challenge #2

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment. I really enjoy reading them.