Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Caution! Sunglasses Required

Consider yourself warned! This card is a tad on the bright and crazy side. I was definitely outside of my comfort zone on this one but it was fun being challenged.
Ok so here it is:
I warned you it was bright. I used CPS card sketch #259 for the card. I really liked the sketch but found it challenging with all the different backgrounds and the arrow. I decided to turn the sketch one turn to the left. 
I have been dying to use the Itty Bitty Matching Socks stamp from Unity Co. that I bought back last Nov. at the CK Scrapbook Convention. When I saw the stamp it reminded me of my daughter when she was little she never cared if her socks matched or not. I finally just gave up and let her wear whatever socks she felt like. To this day she doesn't much care if her socks don't match perfectly.
I paired up the stamp with these 6x6 papers from Studio g. I stamped the socks on two different pattern papers with black ink and cut them out.
Tip: After cutting I ran the black ink pad around the edge to cover any places where I didn't cut close enough to the black edge.
For the socks background I used Sticky Back Canvas and put it in a Sizzix embossing folder and ran it through my Cuttlebug. I love how nicely the canvas holds the embossing. Next I inked it with Spiced Marmalade and an inking tool. The raised part of the embossing comes out darker. I backed the canvas with a black mat and attached mini clothespins to each sock and adhered the socks to the background with foam dots. I also used a bit of glue on the backs of the clothespins.
The next challenge was to figure out which pattern papers to use for the different backgrounds and figure out the measurements. My card is 61/2" square. A size which I rarely use. Once I had the backgrounds made and adhered to the card it was time to decide where I could fit in the sentiment and arrow.
I thought about using a flourish instead of an arrow but decide a flourish would be too busy and the arrow was a little more of a simple shape and besides I wanted to use this template:
...which I've had for years and it's never been used. It worked perfectly. I traced the arrow with a black marker and cut it out then ran a black ink pad around the edges to cover the edges. For the sentiment I simply stamped it with Versa Mark ink onto black cardstock and embossed it with white embossing powder. I adhered the sentiment to the card with foam dots and I adhered the arrow with foam dots also and overlapped it just a tad on the sentiment.
I can't wait to send this card to my daughter who is at college. I know it will make her day!
Thanks for visiting and have a great week!

6 comments:

  1. wou, great card, I like the idea ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice design on this and LOVE the dp and images you used. What a fun stencil! Thanks for joining us at CPS this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card made me smile. I love the variety of colors and patterns. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this card....fabulous design with the sketch and I just adore the bright and fun colors!! Thanks for playing with us at CPS Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! Congratulations!! Love the stamp!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment. I really enjoy reading them.