Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Trio of Butterflies

For this card I used a sketch from http://deconstructingjen.com/archives/5789 and this is what it looks like:
I had no idea where I was going with this sketch until I saw the Tuesday Trigger over at Moxie Fab World:
  I love how the birds are stacked up! Seeing the birds gave me the idea to use butterflies. So since I have been trying to use older stamps I grabbed these oldies but goodies that are from Hero Arts.
Aren't they pretty? I picked three of them to use on the card.
I am also playing in this weeks City Crafters Challenge Blog. They turned 2 and it is their 104th week! This weeks challenge is called Case Me If You Can. Here is the link to this weeks CCCB so you can see what all is going on overe there: http://citycrafter.blogspot.com/2012/04/happy-birthday-city-crafter-challenge.htmlYou can pick from any of the 103 challenges. I chose CCCB #91 Back to Black and here is the link: http://www.citycrafter.blogspot.com/2012/01/city-crafter-challenge-blog-week-91.html.
Here is how my card turned out:
I decided to use pink with the black. The PP and cardstock is from Creative Memories and the Carnation blank card is from Rubber Soul. I started with the PP and used two sizes of the Long Classic Rectangles dies from Spellbinders on black CS. On the larger rectangle I layered a piece of PP and on the smaller rectangle I layered a piece of dark pink  CS that I had embossed in the Cuttlebug.
The scallops were die cut with a scalloped Spellbinders die and the edges inked with Black Soot Distress ink. I adhered all the layers to the card. Now it was time to make the butterflies.
I  stamped all three butterflies on Solar White Neenah  paper with black ink and fussy cut them out and inked the edges so no white paper would show
Here is a tip: when you have a stamp with a lot of solid background sometimes it's hard to get good ink coverage so what I have found that works great is to first ink your stamp in VersaMark Ink (you can even wipe it off a bit) then ink it with whatever color you want and you should get perfect coverage.
Next I sprayed the butterflies with Perfect Peals mixed with water to give them some shine (It is a little hard to capture the shine with the camera especially on a cloudy day like today so I hope you can see it.). I added three large pearls for the butterflies body and black floss for their feelers and adhered them with foam dots to pop them off the cardstock.
And last but not least I added pen stitching around the entire card. It seemed to pull everything together when I did this. I haven't done pen stitching on anything for a long time. I use to do it a lot on scrapbook pages so it's nice to bring back an old favorite technique.
I haven't added a sentiment so I can add it later when I need a certain card. But I think it is going to my  MIL's Mother's day card. We'll see.
I even ran the flap of the envelope through the Cuttlebug with the same embossing folder I used on the card and stamped one of the butterflies on the front side of the envelope.
Hope the sun is shinning wherever you are today!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful card, Teresa!! Love the butterflies and texture. Great color combo too. Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Deconstructed Sketch this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Teresa ... Your card is lovely but I think you may have misunderstood ... the challenge at CCCB this week is to 'case' one of the cards or projects made by our DT ... you need to show the card you have 'cased' along with your card ... Thanks anyway ...maybe you'll enter again

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Teresa! Thanks for linking this up to this week's Tuesday Trigger in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment. I really enjoy reading them.